Wednesday 6 February 2019

Book 3 coming along


Well, I have been fairly humming along with the next book in the Martin Chalk series.

Now that there’s some momentum behind it, I need to push through. I’d sketched up such a complicated plotline that the first time I’d left it for a while, it took me a week of reading through the backstory to remember where the heck the story was headed and why.

I found Stephen King’s ‘On Writing’ very useful. He says 2000 words a day, every day, no excuses. At first I was like, “Pfft! Is that all?” and proceeded to knock out 3500 words the first day on the job. I felt like a hero. The next day, just over 2000. The day after … 1500 and those came hard.  The last two days have been fruitless, and I’ve been telling myself that marketing is work too.

LOL.

Sometimes, writing is just not easy, but you have to sit and shovel the words regardless. You can always edit out later. But you can’t edit out if there’s zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment